Friday, September 28, 2012

Just Let Mommy Nap On The Balance Beam

Charlotte is taking two classes now. Correction. Charlotte and I are taking two classes. Since Charlotte is only 2 1/2 years old, both her gymnastics class and her first dance class are Mommy and Me classes. I get the whole concept, spot your child, staying close in case of meltdowns, potty breaks, etc. But I am 48 years old! I didn't take gymnastics when I was two, ten or twenty. I am not limber, flexible or dainty in any way. I have not really danced since twenty years ago when I went out with my single friends, and even then it was painful and usually in a circle, terrified you would be thrown into the middle for a solo.

But I do it. I get out there. During warm ups, I am stretching my creaky knees right next to my little girl,  lifting my legs into a "table. I run behind her on the trampoline, hoping we (me) doesn't fall out.  We walk  the balance beam better than a Breathalyzer victim.  I even swung on the rings last week. I can't breathe or walk at the end of this class, and by the time the kids are getting their hand stamped and giving their goodbyes, I need help getting back up. But we do it together. It is worth every minute of momentary pain, because you should see her smiles. Six months ago she wouldn't do a thing in this class, just tears. Now she is amazing. She is  practically running down the beam, doing splits, tumbles, and lifts her legs to her chin on the bars. The whole time just smiling and laughing.  I am so proud and thrilled that she is so happy taking the class.

At dance (Princess Class!)  we march around the room, fly like planes, swivel our hips, and "kiss" our ankles to make first position. We dance with scarves, rolls on mats, learn taking our turns, and of course we spin! Spin until we are dizzy!  I may add I am the only mother out there. I guess that is the advantage of being 48. You don't care how silly you look. But Charlotte for some reason is afraid of the music and will only participate if I am out there. Once I do it with her, she is happy.  So I do it. As spastic as I look, I will keep doing it until she is comfortable. As long as they are not filming these classes, I'm good. They don't film them, do they???

When Charlotte turns three, Mommy is out. Most classes the Mommy can just sit in a chair and watch their three year olds. In fact I think the Mommy just gets in the way. I wonder if Charlotte will know how much I will miss it.




After her first class, sans bow, which lasted 5 seconds. 

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! As a (hmmmmm...let's whisper here fifty-year-old) mom, I feel your pain, but its so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte is adorable!! I checked out your blog posts from China, we too were in Nanchang, in 2008. The Pavilion, the civil affairs office...hard to imagine how complete strangers, had such life changing events across the world, yet so similar!
    Enjoy the dance class, Sam loves hers, 3rd yr now.:)

    ReplyDelete