Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Two Years

Today is two years from Gotcha Day, family day, the first time we ever held Charlotte. I can't believe how time goes by in a whirl of meals, dancing, playing, baths, books, your everyday. It has been a joy, it has been hard work, it has been one of the best decisions we have ever made. To make this leap into the unknown is still so strange for me because I don't see myself as a very brave person at all. I put off big decisions as much as I can.  I haven't been able to choose curtains for the living room for 3 years.  How we were able to go to China and bring Charlotte home to our house  amazes me when I really look at her. Her beautiful eyes, her long dark hair, and her smiles. She is so perfect I actually find it hard to believe how incredibly blessed we really are.

But I worry. I'm her Mom, it's my job. There are so many stories, articles written on the internet about international adoption, it can make you question everything you think , say or do. How do you not screw up? She's here, she's our daughter, nothing is going to change that forever, so I am getting better at filtering what I read. Her story is happening right now, memories are being made. When she is ready for bigger questions, bigger searches of her identity, I want to encourage and support her in any way she needs. I just want her to be happy. Isn't that what every Mother wants.  

 Maybe it really was that imaginary red thread between Charlotte and our family. I don't know if it is karma. luck, or just our files being meshed together in a perfect circumstance. Charlotte is thriving, happy, knows her colors, shapes, numbers, alphabet, and has no interest in potty training! Hey, we're working on it.....

Today I plan to show her the pictures of our adoption trip to China, go over a lifebook I made for her, and tell her how much she is loved. As important it is for her to know how she came to our family in years to come,  her story, her history, it is more important to me that she knows how much she was wanted and loved by me and everyone in our famiy. Everyday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment