Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Referral Reflections

Morning Gingerbread House Party
Waiting for "The Email", AKA Glued to Chair

Seeing Charlotte for the first time
Just wanted to do a post about referral day. It was such an emotional day that by writing it down I think I will remember the day more so that I can tell Charlotte every detail. Like I previously said, we didn't expect the referral call until Monday. In the morning I was at Connor's first grade Xmas Gingerbread House Party. Connor had a great time, I was so distracted, in building his house his roof kept sliding off, gummies were all over the place. It looked like an earthquake hit. Why are some parents so crafty!! I missed that gene.

Back at home, I began a cleaning frenzy. The kind where you dust the stairs, wash lamps, disinfect door knobs. The kind of cleaning you never really do. Then I wrapped all my Xmas gifts. Something I never do early.  I didn't know what to do with myself. I felt like something was going to happen that day. I promised myself I would not spend the afternoon looking at the computer, I needed to get stuff done by Monday. But, around 2:40pm I sat down and said, OK, one quick look see, and at that SAME  moment the phone rang, and I could see on the phone it said Great Wall of China Adoption. Looking at the computer I saw an hour before GW had emailed me that the stork had  landed!

Great Wall of China Adoption Agency is in Texas, and my new best friend Deidre said in the most southern accent, Congratulations, It's a girl, and then told me all about Charlotte. I was pretty calm asking all the questions and getting the information, I just kept thinking , I can't believe I am all alone when this call came!! Peter was at work, Connor at school.  We hung up, I called  Peter and told him to hurry home, (drive safely! no pressure!) because the email of pics were going to come in a few hours.
A few hours, that is where the torture really came. The next two hours we had to wait for the email to see her beautiful face. Peter came home with flowers and we waited, and paced, and puttered, and  the email finally came. Then we were a family of four.
Charlotte Lorraine, 11 months

Staring Contest







3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I saw your post on FCC-LI. Charlotte is beautiful! I also used GW, and my youngest daughter (age 7) is also from Jiangxi. I used to think the waiting for referral was hardest, but once you have her picture, you want to be on the next plane to China!! All the best...we're so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's truly a surreal moment. When we got the call, we also had to wait for them to email her file and it seemed to take forever. Then you open it and all you really want to see are the photos! But we received so many other docs (in Chinese and English), that we couldn't click fast enough to get to the photos. What a great Christmas present for the three of you! Hope to see you next week for Mom's Night Out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the hard part -knowing who and where and having to wait to get to her - she's adorable

    ReplyDelete